Thursday 3 March 2011

"Even after all this time,
The Sun never says to the Earth,
'You owe me.'
Look what happens with
A love like that.
It lights the whole sky"


We had a really good time at the Highland Annual Ceilidh. All the girls accomplished one of the items on their bucket lists: dancing with men in kilts. In Scotland, it seems to be important that guys are able to dance as well (if not better) than the girls - so there were multiple men in complete traditional regalia, complete with leather lace-up dancing shoes. It was a late night (there've been a lot of those lately) but a lot of fun.

Then last night, we went to a headphone party, which is exactly what it sounds like - everyone gets a pair instead of listening to music on speakers. there is a choice of two songs, and the DJ bases his song choices based on what the majority of the audience is listening to. It was great towards the beginning, with room to dance and lots of music everyone grew up with.


(pamela, megan, and molly)



(claire, audrey, me)

... but then it got super crowded and the DJ started playing a lot of British music that none of us had ever heard. Our pained expressions are either from the music or the hundreds of people jumping like crazy all around us. So we ended up leaving relatively early, which was jsut fine with me because with all the essays I've been writing lately sleep has been pretty elusive.

This weekend though, Butler is taking all of us American on an "adventure weekend" to the Argyll Forest, with two selected "adventure activities" of our choice, and a night hike, and a stay in this formal baronial mansion.

Being tired and hormonal has been making me a little homesick, round two, but I'm working past it pretty well (I think). There are some things changing that I'm terrified about, and since I'm over here I can't deal with them the same as I could if I were home, and that makes things a lot worse.


Growing up sucks a lot of the time, that's the conclusion I've come to this week.

No comments: