Tuesday 11 January 2011

homesick.

Homesickness (n)
definition: the distress or impairment caused by an actual or anticipated separation from a specific home environment or attachment objects.

It turns out that even though I didn't recognize it at first I am very, very much homesick and people-from-home sick. I'm not sure that things would be better if people I knew were here, I just want to go home. Actually, I've been mentally combing through the ways I could go home and be at UC instead this semester, which would work on many levels since classes don't start til Monday of next week. For a night I actually had myself convinced I was going to do it but I don't think that the money would transfer back to UC, so of course there goes that.

On another note though, classes are good. I have Celtic Civilisation (spelled the British way, of course), Early Modern Scottish History, and History of Art. The first two sound redundant but aren't, and at the very least I'm hoping they'll cover some of the same things, so when exam time rolls around I can pretend to know what I'm doing. History of Art is a lecture by this woman who sounds like she ought to be narrating a PBS documentary, it's more than a little funny.

The flat mates all seem lovely, I can't remember half their names but at least they're all girls, and the rumor about a French boy moving in has turned out to be entirely false, thank goodness. First year girls are funny.  Being 20, I'm like an antique to them.

So far as long as I keep myself busy things have been good, it's the nights in when everyone else is out drinking as much as possible that I don't have much to do. I've flown through the seventh Harry Potter in 2 nights, so clearly I'm going to need many more books so I'm not crying over Skype constantly to anyone who will listen, which has been the pattern the last few nights.   

I've managed to meet one really sweet girl that I've hit it off with very nicely. Unfortunately her boyfriend is coming to stay over spring break so she's entirely not helpful there, but I'm sure by then I'll have figured something out. There isn't much else to do but "keep calm and carry on" as they say over here (or "keep calm and carry a wand," from A Very Potter Musical) and June 1st will be here before I realise.

That's the plan anyway.

2 comments:

Lisa said...

Emahlee, I'm so sorry to hear you've been feeling down. <3 I hope very much that things get better and that you enjoy yourself over there.

What time of day are you usually on the computer? So we can chat. :)

Love youuu.
- Leesha

Emily said...

oh leesha, i miss you so much! i'm usually on anytime after 3 your time - it gets dark so early here and there isn't much to do unless you're a going out kind of person. which you know i'm not.
good luck moving back today! i want to hear all about this person they stuck you with :( and the good things too!

love you mooooore,
emahlee