Thursday 19 May 2011

it comes and goes in waves, i've found

Yesterday was a good day, the kind that makes you forget the bad ones that came before.

Back in the beginning of the semester, a bunch of us went to Bibi's to get some of their straight-outta-heaven cupcakes, and it was suggested that we go again before we all leave, so yesterday we met up to do that.

Here is a picture of the delicious lemony one I ate for my juliefriend (not to rub it in your face, darling):



Molly's brother eamon is here for the next two weeks so he joined us, despite being exhausted from his flight that had just gotten in at eight am. He barely could keep his eyes open but the rest of us kept entertained talking about how sad we all were when we first got here; pathetic and lost and barely able to find the basic neccessities of life. It seems like we've all come so far from spending the first few days crying in our rooms. We have our own lives now; our own friends and routines and places that mean so much to us. I'm so blessed in the friends that I've found here.

After cupcakes Megan and I browsed around in the better of the two H&M's that exist on Princes Street and mourned that the Primark they're putting in won't be opening until next Christmas.

Dinner with Audrey was my first experience at a 'chippy' - slang for a fish and chip shop, or more generally an individually owned fast food place, with the usual pizza, fish and chips, burgers, and kebabs. We've formed a bucket list of sorts of things that we want to do here before we leave, and are slowly knocking them off one by one.

We concluded our day at Finnegan's Wake again, listening to the banjo stylings of rock covers such as "Fat Bottomed Girls," "Paradise City," and "You Shook Me All Night Long." Those songs will never be the same to me again. Finnegan's is great though; it's very safe and the atmosphere is so alive.

The last few days have been cause for a lot of introspection and trying to learn from mistakes, both long ago and recent, and questioning whether they can be ratified. Keep your fingers crossed for me. Two weeks from today I'll be waking up in my own bed. I made this comment to a friend, and their response was, 'well, whose have you been sleeping in?' They meant it as a joke, but it also made me think. I need to find a way to bridge my life back home with experiences here and how they've made me grow as a person. Easier said than done, I think.

1 comment:

Katie H said...

You're one of my favorite people. For real <3